OpenAI’s ChatGPT (Generative Pre-trained Transformer) is not yet available for users in Cambodia.
Yet, I figured out to have an account to use it after several attempts of workaround. It’s really worth it to try to really have my hands on it.
In late December, the New York Times reported that “A New Chat Bot Is a ‘Code Red’ for Google’s Search Business”.
With massive amount of [ongoing] trained data, Artificial Intelligence is now the beginning of how we interact with world’s knowledge.
ChatGPT is a machine learning giant beast
ChatGPT was launched on December the 1st last year. Even until early January 2023, the popular and powerful AI chat service has not fully opened to users worldwide.
Everyday on Twitter, you can see that people keep talking about how great ChatGPT is and what it can do in many fields. Scientist and author Gary Marcus wrote a bold headline “What to Expect When You’re Expecting … GPT-4” on his Substack newsletter The Road to AI We Can Trust.
In this blog post, you’ll find something I found interesting when interacting with this charming ChatGPT.
After signing in, the first dialog message I got is:
This is a free research preview.
Our goal is to get external feedback in order to improve our systems and make them safer. While we have safeguards in place, the system may occasionally generate incorrect or misleading information and produce offensive or biased content. It is not intended to give advice.
- Conversations may be reviewed by our AI trainers to improve our systems.
- Please don’t share any sensitive information in your conversations.
- This system is optimized for dialogue. Let us know if a particular response was good or unhelpful.
Some use cases I’ve tried:
- Use ChatGPT for English grammar check
As a writer, the tool is powerful to refine and improve the content quality.
ChatGPT cannot predict future events when asking for an overview of a business climate in Cambodia in 2023. I also asked the AI agent about top news stories of the day from Cambodia. In a response, it says it cannot crawl the world wide web. And its knowledge is based on “information that was current up until 2021.”
UK deputy ambassador to Cambodia, Marc Thayre, asked me in a tweet conversation that “I’d be interested to hear how you find AI dealing with Khmer language and Khmer culture. Is it inherently biased towards a western philosophy and English language?” I will have to find out more.
How to use ChatGPT in Cambodia
- I use Opera web browser with a built-in VPN
- As I wrote in the beginning, ChatGPT is not yet open to users in Cambodia. So to create an account, you need to do some extra work. Even if you can use a VPN to pass-by some stages in account creation process, you will need a proper phone number to verify to finalize the process.
- Like some other global Internet services, Cambodia is typically among the last for them to roll out their services and make them available. For instance, Paypal and Stripe. So you may have someone sitting the in USA to assist you in the OpenAI account setup.
To be continued